Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What's Your Favorite Molly ?

The other night I was sucked into watching Pretty in Pink (I'm a sucker for any classic 80s movie) and although it was a fine way to waste two hours, at the end I knew it really was my least favorite Molly Ringwald 80s flick. So of course that led me to a deep introspection of the great film trifecta (no, not The Godfather series) but The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink - all 80s classics and all Molly Ringwald.
After a deep and intense mental debate, all of 30 seconds, I determined that Sixteen Candles is my favorite of the three, for a few reasons: #1 Jake Ryan (the name just sounds hot) was the best guy to have a h.s. crush on #2 The Donger, for his lines along this movie is a classic "Dong, dong - where is my automobile?" #3 Anthony Michael Hall, while we all like to think we were the Jack Ryans of the world, really AMH was more on par of what reality was (for you all I'm guessing : )
The Breakfast Club comes in at #2 because of it's classic h.s. stereotypes, Molly Ringwald applying lipstick hands free (I have tried this and, yes, I can do it) and the important message that detention unites us all! Pretty in Pink has to remain in third, while it does have a great soundtrack and I love the height of hideous fashion that Andie sports there are just a few things that aren't right. First of all Blaine, someone named Blaine is the love interest, come on, there is nothing appealing about Andrew McCarthy in this movie, he is a pathetic, scrawny rich kid, I would have picked Judd Nelson in Breakfast Club over Blaine in a heart beat.
And that's the Molly trilogy for you!

No comments: