Friday, May 25, 2007

Forgo the Pretenses, Admit Your Annoyed

Recently I went out of town for the weekend to visit some friends of my S.O., since my S.O. is not as youthful as myself, several of his friends already have small children so I got to be exposed to the 2 and 3 year old set.
While I don't have any children myself, I like children just fine, they are cute, sweet, etc. but I think that parents out there are keeping a secret from us non-parents and I think everyone needs to fess up and admit that - quite often those 2,3, and 4 year olds are not likable little people. Before you get all indignant on me and say that I can't possibly understand (which you're right I can't) just hear me out. These kids, no longer babies, not quite fully functioning, interesting 5 and 6 year olds can really drive us all nuts. They can't articulate what they are thinking/feeling and therefore scream, whine and are generally irritating to the point of pulling your hair you - which is through no fault of their own, they are developing, it's natural - what's not natural is everyone else parents and the childless included just nodding politely and ignoring the fact that these kids are driving us crazy. I think everyone could benefit from fessing up to the fact that sometimes kids are highly frustrating/annoying - it would be cathartic. No longer would the mother have to slink away embarrassed in the store when her kid goes nuts - she can look others in the eye and say "yes, he is getting on my nerves too". Everyone should take the pressure off of themselves and quite pretending that little people who have only been on this earth 24 or 36 months are always delightful. God knows that we are all too ready to acknowledge that those our own age can be highly annoying so why not just extend that down to those in diapers?

No comments: