Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I'll Always Look Younger Than Vivian

There is a phenomenon that I experience if not on a daily then at least a weekly basis and I'm convinced I live in some sort of time warp. Why is that when I look at pictures or film of people that are older than me but are at least the same age or younger than me in said pictures and film that they do not appear younger or the same age as me? This is truly puzzling. For example, I recently caught a glimpse of Pretty Woman on tv and while Julia Roberts can be no older than 20 in that movie, somehow when I look at her she still appears older than me (let's keep in mind this is all a mental thing - if we were to compare 20 year old Julia to 28 year old me I am sure there may be a few slight differences).
I just find it so curious that the brain somehow cannot process the image of someone you know to be older than you ever looking younger than you. Is this some sort of self-preservation mechanism that keeps us from running to the Botox until absolutely necessary? I am envisioning an older version of myself only watching 'classic' movies and tv in order to feel forever young!
Am I alone in feeling this way or was there a point when you were watching your Molly Ringwald movies and finally felt older than Andie, Claire or Samantha - I have yet to.

No comments: