Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sepia - A Review, Two Stars

This past Thursday I finally checked out Sepia, the much-hyped new restaurant over the in the near West Loop. It had highly irritated me for weeks that I couldn't get a weekend reservation calling two weeks in advance, "hello, this is Chicago!" unless it's Trotter's or Tru I expect to be in given a two week notice, but no dice with Sepia. So I opted for the strategy of go after work on a week night with no reservations and hope for the best. It worked out, I arrived and my friend had snagged spot in the front, lounge/dining area so we were set. I had been reading about Sepia in the local press for so long, that coupled with the inability to get a reservation (I'm a sucker for anything that oozes a difficulty to obtain) and my expectations for the place were somewhat high. We started with the much touted flatbreads, which you are almost expected to order but they were tasty enough so I didn't feel too put out. True to it's name it's the flattest bread imaginable with peaches, blue cheese and prosciutto, the flavor combos were perfect but a tad greasy for my taste. My dining companion was a fellow food lover so we shared both appetizers and entrees as to not miss out on anything. The pork ritelle was interesting, I enjoyed the flavor and texture of the pistachio brittle that accompanied the dish but don't believe that I would order it again as it felt a little too much like scooping fat out of a dish and slathering it on some bread (alas, isn't this called butter?) but the grilled octopus with a reduced tomato sauce/compote, not sure which it was?? was excellent and on point. Entrees were a skate wing (lovely) with roots vegetables, cooked but nothing more (skins on, very rustic) and veal cheeks, never having had veal cheeks I must confess the cut of meat was not what I expected, fine, but not the cut of veal I would prefer. Both dishes were fine, not excellent but acceptable. Dessert was a lemon bread pudding, leaning more towards pudding than bread, probably could have passed on this summer item still lingering on the menu, but what kind of girl would I be if I passed up dessert?? The service was a highpoint, a very patient sever who tolerated our chatting and not ordering for quite some time but was always hovering in the near distance if we ever needed her. So after all the hype and frustration in trying to get in I must say that it was fine but didn't live up to my expectations, but then again, all those of the built-up expectations never do. Check out Sepia, but wait until it's become a neighborhood staple rather than the new thing to do.

No comments: