Thursday, February 21, 2008

How Rude & Why I'm Okay Looking Like The Unabomber

So the comment that was attached to my last post SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO got on my last nerve. Excuse me, are you providing a helpful criticism as to what should be on my idle mind -hmmm kind of defeats the point of blogging, I am tempted to post several long and detailed restaurant reviews out of spite but I will resist the urge (repeat: I am the bigger person, I am the bigger person). Another restaurant review will be forthcoming though as next week we have reservations at the newly re-opened Schwa - so readers beware!

On an unrelated note as it has continued to be sub-zero polar ice cap weather around here I realized that I have transitioned into another life stage, the "not caring about looking cute and more focused on being bundled up a warm" stage. I so used to be that girl who didn't want to wear boots because they looked big and clunky and ugly or I would never dream of wearing a hat as it would mess up my perfect coiffure. Unbeknownst to me at some point I passed this stage and now when it is cold I resemble the unabomber (albeit a wool-blend, Chanel sunglass wearing unabomber) but the general look is about the same. I'm not sure if this is another byproduct of growing older or just a byproduct of a particularly freezing Chicago winter. If I start wearing a caftan and straw hat this summer then we'll know it's the former and not the latter.

A few Oscar picks for tomorrow, although in full disclosure I have not watching all the nominees this year so I feel a bit like a cheater picking them.

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett - she convincingly portrays an iconic male singer, enough said.
Supporting Actor: I have not seen No Country for Old Men (nor do I plan to) but word on the street is Javier Bardem is a lock, what should be a lock is for him to never re-create that hairdo again.
Actress: Marion Cotillard - La Vie En Rose- haven't seen it yet but I love the original song! She's beautiful and animated, Julie Christie is too much of a sourpuss in my opinion.
Actor: Daniel Day Lewis, again haven't seen it but he is scary enough in trailers to have me believing in that performance.
Director: Coen Brothers, everyone loves a director who can go from funny to serious
Movie: Atonement, I loved it, thought it was beautifully done, still a get a little pang in the chest when I see a commercial for it - it better win, the only other choice is Juno but the academy would never give an Oscar to a little indie comedy.

No comments: