Monday, February 26, 2007

The Dresses - The Real Winners

Last evenings Oscars were somewhat boring and way too long, but after sitting through four hours of what I like to refer to as the 'female Superbowl', I've decided that the best thing about the show were the dresses worn by all the actresses.
There were no major surprises, other than Eddie Murphy not winning, which although I did indicate that he would win in an earlier post, I'm actually quite fine with the fact that he didn't. My personal opinion is that he's probably thought of as a jerk around Hollywood and the Academy members could not bring themselves to vote for anyone was starring in Norbit.
I probably could have just watched the pre-show red carpet events (thought those reporters on E! have reached new heights of annoyingness) and been happy enough to call it an evening. There really were no huge fashion mishaps, which is good and bad - good to see everyone looking fabulous but bad in the sense that we don't have a classic Bjork and the swan dress moment to add to the list of fashion don'ts.
Some of my favorites from the evening were Penelope Cruz, thought she looked like a princess in the Versace couture, not everyone could pull the skirt and train of that dress off but she did it with ease. I also loved Nicole Kidman, I don't care what all the fashion critics are saying that bow was elegant, she is nothing but elegant and the line and color of that dress were perfect for her. Cate Blanchett was on the cutting edge of fashion as always, wearing this year's latest metallic trend and making what had to be a massively heavy dress look effortless. A few other winners, Reese Witherspoon, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, and Cameron Diaz. And above all my favorite fashion moment of the evening - those huge sparkling bracelets featured on nearly every actress - they are fabulous and I want one - don't be surprised to see me rockin' some serious CZ bracelets in the near future!
And the night would not be complete without a few fashion misfits: Jessica Biel (first of all why was she even there ?) and while I love the color this dress was just not Oscar-caliber, she should have put in the closet and waited to wear it to some movie premiere. I thought Jennifer Lopez also missed the mark, she has gorgeous hair, why insist on teasing it up into a 1950s bouffant? The skirt of her dress was too voluminous for me - it was almost Grecian but instead bordered more on maternity meets bedsheet.

No comments: