Monday, June 4, 2007

Scylla - A Jewel of the Sea

A definite Bucktown treat that you don't want to miss out on, Scylla did not fail to impress yet again.
Scylla is a small, seafood-influenced spot in Bucktown that I have always enjoyed, however, I had not been there for a quite awhile
and upon returning was pleasantly surprised.
For how often is that a restaurant continues to deliver high quality food AND lowers their prices - unheard of right?! Well Scylla has bucked
convention and done just that - with a menu that is mainly of the sea (but several tasty options for you red and the other white meat eaters) most
of the selections are very light, but don't mistake light with lacking flavor. I had an appetizer of skate wing and pork belly, with a rhubarb compote, interesting combo, it was the rhubarb
that influenced my pick (my grandma made the BEST rhubarb and strawberry sauce - I am still sorry I never learned that recipe) all the flavors came together beautifully though. My boyfriend (there has been a group vote that S.O. is apparently an awful name) had the soft-shell crab starter and I was suffering from ordering envy, it came in a saffronesque broth with a tiny bit of proscuitto and fava beans - so tasty!
We stuck with the theme for dinner and each the halibut and sea scallops respectively- the sea scallops must have been so good that as I glanced over to check them out, they were already gone! The halibut on a potato puree with a slight balsamic reduction was also not to be beat. Dessert was a chocolate panna cotta with creme fraiche and raspberry sauce - I had to get aggressive with my spoon in order to get my due share if that tells whether or not it was any good. To top it off our service was very competent, the right amount of attention (interested but not hovering) and actually provided us with some great wine suggestions for individual purchases as we were chatting about the wine list selections.
If we hadn't ordered a bottle of wine and instead gone by the glass our bill for two starters, entrees and one dessert would have been under $100 and although I have been mocked for this statement before ....... that is a deal in this town!!!!

No comments: