Friday, November 16, 2007

Can You Tell Me How To Get To ...........

So it happened to me again this week so I felt that I needed to write about it - I get stopped on the street and asked for directions at least once a week. Since my office is right next door to the Sears Tower I can somewhat understand that I get approached for directions often as there's always a number of tourists wandering about on the sidewalk (and walking four wide during prime commuting hours) BUT this also happens to me in other parts of the city and here's the kicker, when I'm on vacation in other countries!
This as lead me to believe that either 1) to the general public I appear like woman in the know, someone who will definitely given them an answer or 2) the most non-threatening person in their line of sight. I prefer to think that it's option 1 because really, I don't want to look that non-threatening to the general public, I don't think that can lead to anything good.
I will confess though that my all-time favorite ask for directions was when I was in the Knightsbridge area of London and was stopped by two Scots who were asking for directions to Harvey Nicols, I was thrilled because they thought I was a Londoner - I didn't stick out as an ugly American! I was doubly excited because I also knew how to give them directions to where they were going, for a split second I contemplated responding in a British accent but I think would have known it to be fake and S.O. would have never let me hear the end of it.
So do I need to walk faster, look meaner or just enjoy the fact that one of the reasons I'm here is so assist those that are directionally challenged. And next time you're lost anywhere in the greater Chicagoland area or Western Europe just give me a call! )

No comments: